Monday, February 15, 2010

R&R at Pats Peak





Today I decided to strap on a pair of skis at Pats Peak in Henniker, NH. Nothing unusual about that except for two things. In a month I will have been around 6 decades &2 I haven't skied more than a handful of times.

I headed out first thing in the morning thinking I wouldn't stay more than a couple of hours. I got to the slopes and rented my equipment. I went to the beginner area to see if it would be like getting back on the proverbial horse. Even though the kids whooshed by me I felt that I was ready to hit the lifts.

The parking lot was full but there were no waiting lines. I watched the people in front of me & managed to get on the lift without incident. Getting off was a different story! The people in front of me got off & dropped their poles. As they went to retrieve it I managed as graceful a forward roll off the lift as you can do with skis on. They apologized but I told them I probably would have tumbled regardless.

Well off to the run. I was told to look for the green trails. There were two. Neither looked very beginner to me. Considering where I was, I had to choose one. It was an up & down ride with me down about 5 times. I made it to the bottom with only my dignity dented a little.

Any normal person would have called it a day. Not me. I'm French. I got back on that proverbial horse. The second time was a charm. Got off the lift with grace and didn't fall once. It got better each run. Funny how a little practice in a day makes....or something like that.

I managed a few photographs with a little point & shoot & one with my Canon 5D. Can you tell which one was with the 5D? I finished the day about 2:30PM & covered 3 beginner trails. The Winter Olympics are upon us and as I passed over the mogul slops, I now have a new respect for those that brave that terrain.

Hope you enjoy the photos & hope you get out to see the incredible views at a ski area near you. It's fun just to go there & read a book & and people watch. No charge for that. Lots of food if you go around lunch time too. See you on the slopes.

No comments: